Sunday, May 17, 2015

What Fitness Format(s) Should You Teach? Ideas for making a decision

Introduction and credit where credit is due:

One of the questions I've seen arise on several fitness forums that I frequent is, "What format should I teach next?"  I'm writing this article for my more practical friends who want to take the courses that will be the most salient, relevant, joyous and profitable for them.

My main inspiration is from two sources.  The first source is Chalene Johnson, who gave two lectures at the IDEA World Fitness Convention in 2008 about how to be a rock star instructor.  The inspiration behind her words has lingered with me for years - develop a fitness mission that matters to you and seek a client demographic who matters to you - and has shaped many of my career decisions for the better.  The second source is Kristin Benton, whose blog article on choosing the right fitness format intrigued me enough that I felt compelled to write my own laundry list and credit hers!  Here is Kristin's Article on choosing a fitness format

Where to start?  What's out there?  

When I see people post, "What should I teach next?" on social media, the inevitable result is dozens of posts with the names of currently popular brand-name formats and many, many exclamation points, emoticons and hearts.  This is a helpful start because it gives us a bit of a pulse for what's out there, and which formats are marketing heavily.  That's a good thing.  When an instructor is passionate about a format, there's no reason they shouldn't shout it out to the world.  However, there are fabulous formats that aren't heavily marketed, either because they're new, they're small, they don't have a huge marketing budget, or their inventor isn't trying to go global.  Further, many instructors who have group-ex certifications design their own formats and don't market them at all.

This is why I love playing fitness detective - finding the hidden gems and then tweaking them to fit my own clients' goals. If you want to learn about what else is out there in the fitness community that's non-branded or quietly marketed, here are some ways to get information that's more in-depth or more relevant.  Instead of posting, "What format should I teach?" I post something more akin to...


  1. What are the 5 most successful formats at the club where you work?  If they're not brand name classes, please tell me a little bit about the formats.
  2. What are a couple of the formats you've seen that are the best for (insert your target demographic here).  If they're not brand name classes, please tell me a little about the format.
  3. Have you ever taught classes for (insert target demographic here)?  What kinds of things did you include to make them successful?
  4. If you've ever launched a new format at your club and kept it going successfully for more than a year, what kind of format is it, and did you design it yourself or is it a format I can get certified in?

That's too much work.  I'd rather teach a branded format.

That's cool.  Here are some things to consider when exploring possible brands.  There are huge differences in fee structures, license requirements, continuing education, and creative freedom, so it may behoove you to ask about these items up front.  A few of these items are from Kristin's list (linked above).

Questions about the format itself.  

How much does the training cost?

After the training, what additional costs are involved - monthly membership dues, annual re-licensing, music, equipment, etc.  Are those fees optional or required?

If there is an optional monthly club, membership, pro team etc., what are my rights to teach the format if I don't join, and can I successfully launch and teach the format if I don't join?

Is the format 100% pre-choreographed, partially choreographed, or does the instructor design their own workouts using the main principles of the format?

If the format is pre-choreographed, how much leeway is there to stray from their choroegraphy, i.e. are there options for differing levels of ability or modifications for injury?

Does the course offer CECs from major providers like ACE, AFAA, or ACSM?

Am I required to hold a group exercise certification in order to teach the format?  If so, does the format itself design workouts that are consistent with the theories, principles, and contraindications of that group exercise certification (my personal pet peeve)?

Is there an exam, video, or other quality control feature in order to teach the format?  What about after I've received my training - are there quality control standards for continuing instructors?

What kind of trainer support will I get from the company?

What kind of instructor - to - instructor network is available for me?  How active is it in general?  How active is it in my area?  Meet-ups, practice sessions, conferences, masterclasses....?

When I correspond with the company, how responsive are they? Are they eager to help?

What, if any, costs are associated with cancelling my membership?

What marketing support is provided for the format?

Will I be encouraged to sell any products that parallel the format?  Does this opportunity interest me?

Questions about myself and my area.

Is this a format that I'm personally passionate about and feel like I would enjoy teaching?

Will my current clients be interested in this, or is this a format where I will need to expand my clientele in order to succeed?  If this is new territory for me and I need to attract a different type of client, am I willing and excited to do this?

Am I already good at this?  Am I willing to put the time into being good at this?  What skills / talents / attributes do I not yet have that will make me sellable in this format?

Do the company's ethics match mine?

Do I prefer to be the first to market, blazing a trail with a new format, or would I rather launch something that's tried and true?

Brand recognition - do people know about this format in my area?  And if so, what's the format's reputation in my area?  Is it consistent with my own reputation?

Market saturation - popular enough to be able to get a job and get subs, but not over-saturated.

How much prep time will it take me to prepare for my first class, and how much prep time will be involved in future classes?

Do I know any of the instructors in the area?  Would I want to network or collaborate with them?

What does my gut say?

No comments: